UN committee: The siege of Gaza is illegal

14 سبتمبر/أيلول 2011 الساعة . 08:37 م   بتوقيت القدس

 

 

Gaza-Interior Ministry


The committee of human rights experts said a in a report submitted to the Human Rights Council of the United Nations on Tuesday that the blockade of the Gaza Strip is a violation for international law, which calls into question in the result reached by the investigation of the international organization in an Israeli raid on aid ship bound for Gaza.
 

The report of "Palmer" said on the Israeli raid in May 2010 that nine militants Turks were killed , published earlier this month that Israel has used excessive force in a raid of last year, but its naval blockade of the Gaza Strip, which Hamas-controlled legally.

 

Where a committee of five independent experts on human rights refused the result and raised its report to the Human Rights Council, saying that the blockade of Gaza's population was subjected to collective punishment "in flagrant contradiction with international human rights and humanitarian law."
 
The experts said: The siege continued for four years deprived 1.6 million Palestinians living in the strip from basic rights.
 
They said in a joint statement "with regard to the legality of the naval blockade that the report of " Palmer " did not recognize by the maritime blockade as part and parcel of Israel's closure policy towards Gaza Strip, which have a disproportionate impact on the human rights of civilians."

 

 
A fact-finding mission formed by  the Human Rights Council earlier to investigate the incident of the Turkish ship in a report issued last September that the blockade violates international law. Meanwhile , the International Committee of the Red Cross said that the blockade violates the Geneva Conventions.